Friday, May 18, 2012

Review of the Wool Omnibus (Wool 1-5) by Hugh Howey

I feel like I am on a bandwagon having read Wool, but bandwagons become bandwagons because they have something that resonates with people.

In the Wool series, Hugh Howey has created something he couldn't have foreseen. Amongst other things he has made readers care about his characters, imagine a believable future and he's kept them wanting for more.

I don't know if it was his original strategy, but I am glad that Wool started out as a novella. If you can grab your audience, engage their emotions and curiosity in a short form, you're probably a pretty good writer. Either that or your story has fired the what-if chemical in the readers brain, as Isaac Asimov did in the Foundation series, Frank Herbert did in the Dune series, Virginia Andrews did in much of her writing. These three writers created such a legacy, there are still books being published as prequels, sequels and spin-offs of their original works.

I'm not comparing the content of Wool to these others, but it already has the potential to grow beyond the scope and grasp of its creator. This is something most writers dream of.

Something else Howey has managed to do, with the help of a pretty decent distribution network in the Amazon Kindle store, is to be accessible. It is firstly accessible in the sense that anyone with a Kindle, iPad, iPhone, Android tablet/phone, or a computer can purchase and read his books. This accessibility and great price point has led to people who wouldn't previously have read science fiction giving it a go to see what all of the fuss is about, and he seems to have made plenty of converts.

I personally like Wool because I generally like to read, I love Science Fiction, I love dystopian fiction, I prefer short fiction, and I like encouraging independent writers. Wool ticks all of these boxes, however Howey is leaving the ranks of independent writers by signing with big publishers and selling film rights. Nobody should begrudge him this. I'd love to be able to write for a living, supporting my family doing something creative that I love.

Wool itself is a compelling character driven story about a post apocalyptic world where the survivors live in a subterranean city-in-a-building called a Silo. As the story unfolds, we see hints of a heavily orchestrated chain of events that have led to the story's present day. The society is controlled by strong taboos largely enforced by the all powerful IT department. The closed society is extremely hierarchical and segregated, each function involved in the running of the Silo is managed by a social group identified by the colour of their overalls.

Any desire to go outside is totally taboo. Anyone expressing curiosity about going outside is condemned to "cleaning". A "cleaning" involves sending the condemned outside to clean the external cameras that allow Silo inhabitants to see the limited view of the world outside. Once the cameras are cleaned, the condemned quickly succumbs to the toxic atmosphere and dies where they stand, a constant reminder and reinforcing of the societies taboos.

I'm not going to tell the whole story, even in synopsis form, as it is an easy and compelling read. Buy the Wool Omnibus from the Amazon Kindle store to get you started. It won't take you long to get through and you'll be hanging out for the next installment.

6 comments:

Tim Ward said...

Hey Archibald,
Saw your post on Google +. I agree, when I first read Hugh, I picked up The Plagiarist, and I was worried that I would like it simply because I'd seen the ratings for Wool and heard such praise. Both The Plagiarist and Wool Omnibus really impressed me, both emotionally and intellectually. I sort of predicted what was going to happen in The Plagiarist, but I was so emotionally connected that I didn't care. The first story, Wool, was also a big bang of emotion. There is no shame in being a Hugh fan, he really knows how to write.

You and I have some similar interests. I'll have to check out your blog some more. Btw, I live in Australia for a semester in college. University of the Sunshine Coast an hour north of Brisbane. I loved living there. It killed me to have to leave. I enjoy where I'm at right now (Iowa, USA), but man do I miss the beach and the all the outdoor adventures we had. I don't miss how much I sucked at surfing, but hey, I can still laugh at the time the lifeguard called me out by my boardshorts and told me to come back in (tow area), and I was like "Yeah, I know, I'm trying...).

Cheers, Archibald. Good to meet you.

Unknown said...

Thanks Tim,

I'm a Melbournian myself. We get more of the extremes than Queensland, so for most of the year the beach is more for eating fish and chips and making out in your car than for swimming or surfing.

I'm glad you enjoyed your time here. I think we have a great little island nation!

I just picked up Hugh Howey's Halfway Home. I had heard that Molly Fyde was a little like Orson Scott Card's Enders Game, but Halfway Home is reminding me a little of that excellent story too.

Aside from Howey, there seems to be a lot of great independent writing hitting the Amazon store lately. It's nice to see a monsterous corporation like that creating a clear road for success for people who may have otherwise struggled.

Archie

Tim Ward said...

Haha, I'm sure it is. Thankfully, I was there from July to January, so the weather was ideal. And the one storm that we had created an awesome panoramic photo of black skies.

Have you ever heard of Gary Crew? He was my professor of Creative Writing at their uni. He writes young adult and picture books, but they're quite creepy. I can't find any of his stuff over here, and was lucky to get a serving of chips by the time I left.

I'm jealous that you're reading Hugh's other stuff. I have too many books around the 30% mark that I'm pretty much shutting the gates from new reads.

Anonymous said...

With havin so much written content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright infringement? My blog has a lot of exclusive content I’ve either authored myself or outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my authorization. Do you know any methods to help reduce content from being stolen? I’d genuinely appreciate it.
HTTP://www.KneeNeckBackPain.com/

Anonymous said...

Congrats ~ Found your blog on Google while searching for a related topic, your site came up, it looks good, keep them coming !

Unknown said...

Another interview with Hugh.
http://goo.gl/0fPz1