Sunday, November 13, 2011

should i sell the big issue?

I experienced two “firsts” this week wrapped up in one. My first ever redundancy and the first time I have ever been unemployed when it wasn’t my choice.

With Christmas around the corner and our baby due on 01/01/2012, I’m not entirely thrilled.

On Wednesday I walked into a small room and there sat my manager’s manager, my HR business partner and a box of tissues. Nice! I wondered if this is about a raise or promotion. They both read from scripts! I appreciated the personal touch at such a sensitive time.

150 people later and now the company can make its $700 million dollar profit target. What a relief! Glad I could help guys.

It’s only been a couple of days and I have already had some interested potential employers contact me, but it’s already tiring. The most frustrating thing is, I was doing a good job, I had a great team, I was enjoying myself and my work made positive impressions in the business. I was even recently rewarded with an excellent performance review and a pay increase.

So 11 months ago I opted for a permanent job so I could start a family, and look at me now. I could have gone for a well-paying contract at the same time, like so many other former colleagues and would probably still be there. Instead I chose security. I’m disappointed in myself, as I have been on both sides of the fence and should have known better.

Anyway, wish me luck!


No comments: